Last time I shared my first failed attempt at these yummy Meatball Sub Cups. The second try went much better, though I tried garnishing with cheese only and it rolled right off the frozen meatballs (gotta have the sauce!). By the third batch I'd worked out the kinks, and everyone agreed these are delicious!
Meatball Sub Cups
1 can crescent roll dough
4 oz. cream cheese, 1/3 less fat (Neufchatel cheese)
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
24 frozen meatballs (no need to thaw)
1/4 cup spaghetti sauce
More Italian seasoning, mozzarella, and sauce for garnish
1) Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter a mini muffin tin (or use cooking spray) & set aside.
2) Break the crescent roll dough up in to triangles, then cut/snip each triangle into thirds. (Just estimate! You can always snip off a little bit if one is larger and add to a smaller piece.)
Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of each muffin cup.
3) Microwave the cream cheese for 1 minute to soften. Stir in the Italian seasoning and mozzarella. Fill each cup with 1 tsp. of the mixture (You will have a little leftover. I like to divide it between any cups that seem lower.)
4) Top the cheese mixture with 1/2 tsp. of spaghetti sauce and press a meatball down into each cup.
5) If you want to skip the garnish, the finished meatballs will look like these ~
Or you can top each with a small dab of sauce, a couple strands of shredded cheese, and a dash of Italian seasoning ~
Bake 15-18 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the cups from the tin while warm (they tend to stick when cool).
Tip ~ You can freeze the other half of the cream cheese