Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Popiah

A while back I picked up a Chinese & Thai cookbook from the library & was intrigued by a recipe for "Popiah". The photo made it look as if an omelet was replacing a tortilla in your typical 'wrap' ~ I had to try it!

After looking around online for the actual pronunciation of Popiah, I realized that the book has their egg-to-flour ratios a bit off and the wrapper is supposed to be more like a thin crepe (I imagine it would be similar to the wraps used in Mu Shu?). But my heart was set on the eggy goodness I had imagined from the photo...

So, first you make up a bunch of wrappers ~

Popiah - wrappers

Heat up some ground pork, shrimp, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, onion, and a little soy sauce for the filling ~

Popiah - filling

And grab some lettuce, green onions and Hoisin sauce. Now we are ready to assemble!

Popiah - toppings

At the table you take a wrapper, spread on a little of the sauce, and lay out a few lettuce leaves. Then you pile on some of the filling, sprinkle with a few green onions (whoops, forgot!), wrap & eat!

Popiah - assembled

Mmmmm....

Popiah - wrapped

The recipe suggested this dish as a party food and used 4-5 different kinds of meats and a large assortment of toppings. After ditching about half of the ingredients, and using those crazy eggy wrappers, I'm sure our version had little to do with traditional Popiah. We loved the way it came out though, so I guess will just have to change the name! I know that we want to thin out the wrappers a smidge next time and use a smaller pan (hence the irregular shapes), but that may be all we need to change ~ these things were sooo good!

No comments: