Saturday, September 15, 2012

Bedazzled & a Stamped Franken

Claire's polishes are always on sale 'buy one, get one half off', so I grabbed a glitter top coat called "Bedazzled" when I bought the lovely "Candy Shop". Bedazzled is a copy of Deborah Lippmann's "Happy Birthday" polish, packed full of multi-colored glitter.

Purple with Bedazzled glitter

I layered "Bedazzled" over a dark purple polish but was so underwhelmed with the look that I removed it all right away to make room for a prettier manicure. I don't want to give up on the polish yet though - perhaps it would be prettier over a different color base coat, or maybe used for an accent nail or glitter gradient instead.

The purple polish was Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails in "Rock Bottom". I've been looking for a good purple shade for a while but everything is too blue, red, light, dark, etc. I was pleased to find this one but the polish was way to sheer, taking 3 or 4 slow drying coats which were easily marred. I've since added a few drops of more opaque, dark purples to the bottle to see if that makes it useable.



The next manicure is a special one because it features my first frankened polish! "Frankening" is a term used for mixing a few polishes together to create something new. It's an especially great way to use up a those nearly empty bottles!

I started with a heavily used bottle of Sally Hansen "Marine Scene". Below you can see I marked the bottom line to show how much of it was left, I'll say 3 parts. I then added 2 parts Sinful Colors "Pearl Harbor" (an iridescent green & blue glitter topcoat) and 1 part Pure Ice "Beware" (a silver glitter topcoat). "Marine Scene" is already a very sheer color, so I worried that adding so much clear coat would things worse & added in a few drops of dark blue & green to add in some more pigment and get the darker teal color I was after. The polish turned out really lovely & shimmery!

Teal franken with wavy silver dots (Bundle Monster)

Not wanting to cover up too much of the color, I taped off my nails diagonally & stamped the edge with Pure Ice "Silver Mercedes" and Bundle Monster plate BM-209. I love the look of the pattern but it was a really terrible choice! The stamp was so narrow it would not even cover this small section of my nail and I had to draw in missing areas on most of my nails.

I did not even want to mess with that on my right hand so I used bottom right print from Konad plate M63. This pattern did not match as well but I think it would be pretty if you used a 2nd base color before stamping.

Have you tried frankening yet?

No comments: