Wednesday, June 3, 2015

5:2 Cabbage Pad Thai (210 calories)

Whenever we go to a Thai restaurant, I almost always order Pad Thai. There are so many delicious dishes on the menu, but we eat Thai so seldom, I've got to get those savory noodles while I can! Naturally I was intrigued when I saw a low-calorie Pad Thai using shredded cabbage instead of noodles, and after combining & tweaking a few recipes I had a 200 calorie version of my own.

I actually make a pretty mean Pad Thai at home using the Taste of Thai sauce packets (with the recipe on the back.) I've tried making my own sauce countless times, both Americanized & authentic versions, but haven't come across anything I'm happy with. This sauce is not authentic, but it is tasty! I also used it as another chance to sub in some PB2 in place of peanut butter with nice results, but you can leave it out if you don't have any.

This recipe makes so much, my husband's only complaint about the meal was that it might be too much food, haha. It's really piled up on the plate! You could easily split it 3 ways instead, or 4 for a smaller 100 calorie snack. But I was happy to chow down!

Cabbage Pad Thai, 1  (210 calories)


Cabbage Pad Thai

(For those of you counting calories, I've added the amount for each ingredient so you can easily make tweaks without having to re-calculate everything. Anything marked with an asterisk* may vary based on what you buy, so make sure to compare your label.)

14 oz. bag coleslaw mix (or 7 cups shredded cabbage, 115*)
8 oz. mushrooms, chopped (50)

2 Tbsp soy sauce (20)
1 Tbsp. brown sugar (45)
1 Tbsp. ketchup (20*)
1 Tbsp. PB2 (23)
1 tsp. grated ginger (1)
1 tsp. minced garlic (0)
1/2 tsp. Sriracha hot sauce (3)

4 oz. cooked, chopped chicken (136)
1/2 green onion, thinly sliced (3)
1/2 lime, cut into wedges (4)


1) Heat a wok or large pan over medium heat. Add the coleslaw mix and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 3 minutes.

2) Meanwhile, in a small bowl or cup, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, PB2, ginger, garlic and Sriracha.

3) Add the sauce to the wok and stir well to combine. Stir in the chicken and heat through. Divide into two bowls and garnish with the green onions and lime wedges. Serves 2-3.

Calories - 210 for 1/2, 140 for 1/3

Cabbage Pad Thai, 2 (210 calories)

No comments: