Thursday, August 13, 2009

Finish Line

I did it! Monday I actually finished Remembering the Kanji and am happy to now have 2040+ kanji stored in my memory after about 2 1/5 months of pretty diligent study.

Of course, I still can't read a darn thing, but at least now I can start to learn. I've also been thinking a lot about what I wanted to work on once I finished the book. Most people don't seem to recommend RtK2 (which teaches the sounds the kanji make), though they like the 3rd book (which goes onto more advanced kanji). All of my reading on learning languages has led me just to that... reading. I have vol. 1 and 2 of Death Note in Japanese which I can start with, and then I need to find a good book and a form a plan of attack.

Justin is starting RtK now, but is giving himself a year to get through it. I had planned for 3 or 4 months myself, but was eager to do a lot more per day than I had expected. I'm hoping that he will get bit by the kanji bug as well and doesn't end quitting after 1000 like most people seem to do.

No comments: