Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tapioca Noodles

This morning I tried the Tapioca noodles I bought at the Asian Market a while ago. They are so pretty dry, all crinkly and white with just a touch of color...

Tapioca Noodles - dry

I looked online for information on how long to cook them, but all of the information was for thinner, stringy tapioca noodles that only needed about a minute to cook. These thicker crinkles needed closer to 6 minutes. Naturally, they plump up as you cook them and become more translucent. Not quite as pretty, but nice if you are looking for something different. Here you can see them cooked, with a little bit of sauce.

Tapioca Noodles - cooked (with sauce)

The downside? The smell they gave off while cooking was pretty unappealing. The only word that came to mind was "sweat". But, I didn't notice a smell after draining them and adding the sauce. It is a nice chewy noodle, which is my favorite type, but I think I might stick to rice noodles in the future. Though, these would look lovely in a glass canister on the counter!

No comments: