Monday, September 9, 2013

Misoyaki Roast Chicken with Shoyu Onion Sauce

Salty miso mixed with sweet mirin makes an awesome glaze for grilling! Skewered tofu, fish, eggplant, and other foods are often glazed with a mixture and served at Japanese festivals. I loved the flavor when we used it on Onigiri Yaki (grilled balls of rice), and so this roast chicken recipe had me drooling.

Misoyaki Chicken

The only whole chickens I found were 5 lbs., so I added 20 minutes to the 350 cooking time (1 hour) and it came out perfectly cooked and wonderfully juicy! The marinade was tasty, but like most marinades it added a rather subtle flavor (and I start wondering if it was worth the effort). Thankfully the Shoyu Onion sauce added the needed punch.

I don't think the sauce really needed to cook the whole time the chicken was roasting ~ it was a bit too salty & so I added 1/2 cup water and 1 Tbsp. sugar to tone it down a bit. (Still super salty by itself but nice over the chicken and some white rice.) We made roasted kale on the side but next time I will definitely be picking out a sweet side instead so we don't suffer from salt-overload.

No comments: