Tuesday, September 24, 2013

New, But Not Noteworthy

Here are a few new recipes we tried that turned out rather blah. Honestly, none of them were bad, just not drool-worthy enough to make again. Thought I would share them here in case any of you had them bookmarked as well!


Chicken in Sage Walnut Sauce ~

Walnut Chicken

While searching for a chicken dish with a creamy walnut sauce I came across many variations similar to this. I was intrigued by the use of ground walnuts and white bread in the sauce, but the results were a rather gritty, bland paste. I did cut back the seasonings a little, but I don't think they would have helped that much. I left off the odd garnishes, but you can see it is a rather boring looking dish without them! If I were to make this one again I would recommend using pre-cooked chopped or shredded chicken if you have some on hand and sprinkle something on the top for color.


Japanese Hamburger Steak ~

Japanese Hamburger Steak

This one was the best of the bunch, and pretty tasty, just not what I was expecting. Based on this picture I thought the dish would have a light sauce with Asian flavors, but it basically tasted like a steak sauce. Knowing that I would not have used the mushrooms or poured it over mashed potatoes! This was lacking the Asian twist I was hoping for, and if I'm going to go traditional, this one we made last month was much better.


Beef & Green Bean Stir-fry ~

Beef & Green Bean Stir-fry

Kate raved about how this recipe won over her pickiest eaters, even people who hated beef or vegetables or stir-fry, but the sauce fell a little flat for us. Once again, not bad, but it tasted like every stir-fry we've made using bottled sauces in the past. I'm a bit obsessed with Chinese food & am currently searching for some sauces that taste more like true take-out, so this is one I'll pass on.


Mississip Sin Dip ~

I didn't bother taking a photo of this one. I doubled the ham and green onion, but the taste was a bit boring. I also found the texture a little odd, almost curdled (I'm guessing there was too much sour cream in relation to the cream cheese). We have made several incredible cream cheese based dips before and this one was pale in comparison.



No comments: