Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Chicken & Tofu Teriyaki Meatballs (with Stir-fried Broccoli & Cashews)

This week I was combing through old recipes & Pinterest for dinner ideas when I came across these tasty meatballs we made a few months ago. The meatballs are made with a mix of ground chicken & tofu, making them soft & moist, and then glazed with a wonderful teriyaki sauce. The recipe was from Just One Cookbook, but I used 1 lb. ground chicken, 1 pack of tofu (14 oz?), and doubled everything else.

Chicken & Tofu Teriyaki Meatballs

They turned out great, but cooking them in the pan was a little tedious, and it left a few black bits stuck on the meatballs. We made this meal again last night and this time I tried baking them in the oven & then tossing them with the sauce afterward. I definitely need to tweak my technique before I share, but I think it will work well. And we won't mind trying this one again ~ even the baby who has barely eaten in a month gobbled everything up & wanted more!

On the side we had rice and stir-fried broccoli with cashews & oyster sauce, recipe here. The broccoli is stir-fried for a few minutes with oil, and then you add a bit of water and cover the wok to steam it. It turns out nice and crisp, and It's amazing how much flavor you get using only the oyster sauce. Unfortunately it does take a little while to cut up all of the broccoli, so it was probably not the best side to make when I'm already spending a ton of time forming all of those meatballs! Next time I'll pair the meatballs with a super simple side, or at least do a little bit of prep work earlier in the day.

No comments: