Friday, January 30, 2015

Cauliflower Crazy

We've never cooked much with cauliflower before. We tried this roasted recipe a few years ago & really liked it, but at our old house it cost about $4 for one head, and there were so many other cheaper veggies. Now that we live next to an awesome farmer's market I realized I can get it for half that price (or even lower), so it was time to give it another try! I grabbed a head and made an extra small batch of several of the recipes I'd marked on Pinterest lately.

First up was Creamy Cauliflower Sauce, rumored to taste like Alfredo. I wasn't expecting much from this one, but the reviews praised it so much I had to give it a try. And they were right!! This stuff is delicious. It tastes like it's loaded with cheese & cream, but really only uses skim milk and a little bit of butter. You can toss it with pasta or rice, but now I want to make a big batch & try replacing the cream sauce in some of our favorite recipes.


Creamy Cauliflower Sauce, Pinch of Yum


I was planning on trying some cauliflower rice that same night, but needed to find a recipe & ran out of time. And wouldn't you know it, my favorite recipe blog Our Best Bites posted one the next day! It turned out pretty good, but I agree with one of the commenters that it has more of a couscous texture. It also had a bit of a crunch, which I think you could remove with a little steaming or boiling if you wanted to. My kids devour white rice, so I'd like to try to mix a little of this in to make it a little healthier. We'll see how it goes!


Cauliflower Rice, Our Best Bites


I ended up with 1/4 a head left, and figured I might as well make a little Sweet & Spicy Korean Caulifower. The cauliflower is cut thin & roasted here (so you know it's going to be good!), then tossed with a Korean sauce normally used for fried chicken. I didn't notice much of a sweet flavor, but itt was savory, tangy, spicy, and delicious! We'll definitely be making this as a side dish in the future, but I'll lower the heat a little for me & the kids.


Sweet & Spicy Korean Cauliflower, Blossom to Stem


All three of these recipes were big winners & I can't wait to make them again. The first two were also kid & husband approved, and the third one didn't last long enough for them to try it. ;)

What's your favorite way to make cauliflower?

No comments: