After trying this delicious Creamy Cauliflower Sauce (which ends up tasting like Alfredo), I was curious to see if I could use something similar to replace heavy cream in some of our favorite recipes. My first attempt was with this Olive Garden copycat Chicken & Gnocchi Soup. The broth was a little diferent than the origional, but delicious either way!
(For those of you counting calories, I've added the amount for each ingredient so you can easily make tweaks without having to re-calculate everything. Anything marked with an asterisk* will vary a lot based on what you buy, so make sure to compare your label.)
1/2 Tbsp. butter (60)
1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced (10)
1/2 cup carrot, minced or grated (26)
1 Tbsp. minced garlic (0)
1 Tbsp. flour (28)
6 cups water (0)
4 tsp./cubes bouillon (20)
8 oz. cooked, chopped chicken (272)
1/2 tsp. ground thyme (2)
1/4 tsp. black pepper (1)
2 cups cauliflower florets (50)
3 Tbsp. skim milk (15)
3 cups fresh baby spinach, stems removed & cut in half (21)
8 oz. gnocchi (320*)
1) In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes to soften, stirring occasionally.
2) Stir in the flour until well blended, then add 4 cups of water and 3 tsp. (or cubes) of bouillon. Add the chicken, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
3) While the soup is simmering - In a small pot, add the additional 2 cups of water and 1 tsp. of bouillon. Bring to a boil, then add the cauliflower florets. Cover and boil for 10 minutes.
4) Pour the cauliflower (and broth) into a blender, add the milk, and blend until smooth.
5) Add the blended cauliflower, spinach, and gnocchi to the large pot and simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes. While it simmers, skim off the foam for a cleaner broth (optional). Serves 4.
Calories - 206 for 1/4