Thursday, March 26, 2015

5:2 Green Bean Pancakes (100 calories)

I know, green beans + pancakes sounds a little gross. But these aren't syrupy sweet pancakes, more like a thin eggy omelet. Whatever you want to call them, I have been enjoying this recipe from Soy & Pepper for a while now. But I had to change things up a little, of course! First, I like to mix each pancake individually so I know exactly how much to use (and so I can play around with add-ins, as you'll see below). And while they were good with soy sauce on top, they are incredible with teriyaki sauce mixed in!

Green Bean Pancakes (100 calories)

(For those of you counting calories, I've added the amount for each ingredient so you can easily make tweaks without having to re-calculate everything. Anything marked with an asterisk* will vary a lot based on what you buy, so make sure to compare your label.)

1/2 cup green beans, cut into 1/4" slices (20)
1 egg, lightly beaten (70)
½ Tbsp. teriyaki sauce ("Soy Vay" brand, 5*)
Cooking oil (5)

Green Bean Pancakes, prep

1) First you'll need to cut up your green beans, which is the most time consuming part. I use kitchen scissors to quickly snip them, & you can do two at once. Cut enough to fill up 1/2 cup (or cut up a bunch ahead of time and measure it out).

2) In a small bowl or cup, lightly beat your egg and mix in the green beans and teriyaki sauce.

3) In a small non-stick frypan (about 8"), add 1/4 tsp. (or a spray) of oil, then spread it around and wipe it out with a paper towel to leave a trace amount. Heat the pan over medium heat.

Green Bean Pancakes, cooking

4) Add the egg mixture and spread out the green beans evenly in one layer. Cook for about 1.5-2 minutes, until the bottom is set and lightly browned. Flip and repeat for the other side. (For additional pancakes you may need to reduce the cooking time slightly.)

Calories - 100 per pancake



These pancakes are delicious for breakfast or lunch, or I've also used them as a side dish! Just cut one in half and overlap to fit nicely on your plate.

Green Bean Pancakes, as a side

And you can have a lot of fun subbing half of the green beans with other ingredients. This is a great way to use up a little bit of leftover meat, veggies, mushrooms, or rice. What I do is fill up about half of my 1/2 cup measuring cup with another ingredient, then top it off with the cut green beans and cook like normal. (Of course you'll have to adjust the calories a bit to match.) Here is a pancake that is half mushroom rice and half green beans ~

Green Bean & Rice Pancake

And you know what is surprisingly tasty mixed in? Hot dogs! I use half a hot dog and cut it length-ways into fourths and then slice that up thin so I have lots of tiny pieces. This is my favorite combination so far.

Green Bean & Hot Dog Pancake

Mmmm, these are so unique and tasty, I hope you give them a try! I've got another 100 calorie recipe in the works that I'll be sharing soon.

No comments: