Saturday, August 25, 2012

Dinners for the Week(s)

2 new recipes last week! ~

Asian BBQ Chicken with grilled corn - Very good! She recommends using thighs but we had some breasts to use up. I cut them at their thickest point & folded that out to give it a more uniform thickness for grilling. You can find directions for grilling the corn on their site as well.

Chicken Tikka Masala (2 dinners) with roasted butternut squash - The reviews for this one were right - amazing! Do take notes from the comments though. The salt amount is way off, so only use 1 tsp each for the marinade & sauce (about 1/4 of what they call for!) I used garam masala in place of the cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne in the marinade since it is a mix of those spices. And I left out the spicy stuff because I'm a wimp!

I've wanted to make this one for a long time but avoided it because it was hard to grill at our old place. Once we were ready to make it I notice that you only grill the chicken for a few minutes on skewers & then simmer it in sauce for 10 minutes afterward. We ended up skipping the skewer & grilling all together to keep it simple & just put the chicken into the sauce raw & let it cook through as it simmered.

► Grilled hamburgers, steak fries, and side salad


Thai Basil Curry

This week we were not as adventurous & stuck with old favorites ~

Thai Basil Curry (pictured above) - This recipe is not 100% finished but I'll share the work-in-progress. The dish ended up a little spicy this time - perhaps I added extra curry base?

Shrimp with Coconut Rice

Baked Spaghetti Casserole with green beans (2 dinners, pictured below)

Spaghetti Casserole

I also tried out a new breakfast recipe ~

Bubble Biscuits - These were good but the lack of amounts in the recipe was not fun. I used the 6 eggs called for, ham lunchmeat in place of bacon, & 3 cups of hash browns, which ended up making 20 biscuits (Grands Jr. biscuits). I'd halve that in the future!

However, both Justin and I agreed that the hash browns were really a waste in this one. The taste was too similar to the biscuit to be noticed & so I'd choose different fillers if I made these again.

No comments: