Monday, March 1, 2010

It's coming!...

For the first year ever, we actually got a tax return! A very welcome change, after years of owing hundreds of dollars come tax time. (I guess bad economic years can have their perks!) Part of the money went into savings, and part was used to pick up a little something I've been drooling over for years...

Canon XSi with 50mm f/1.8 II lens

A Canon Rebel of my very own!

I spent most of last week researching, reading, asking advice, and probably over-analyzing every little detail. I decided to go with the Canon XSi (450D), but buy the body only and forgo the kit lens that usually comes with it for a 50mm f/1.8 ii lens. It was a tough call, but I'd seen the lens recommended all over, with many people saying they ended up using that lens 90-95% percent of the time, and it seemed to be the best fit for the types of photos I take.

It's funny ~ that lens is so well loved for it's performance and low price that it has earned itself a few nicknames. It's known as the "plastic fantastic", the "nifty fifty", or the "thrifty fifty". The first time I saw someone throwing around those names, I had no idea, and thought, "Wow. This guy really thinks he's clever!" (*cough*loser*) A google search the next day revealed the wide use of the nicknames.

While I am waiting for the camera to arrive, I'm going to make an effort to go through any photos that have been lingering around, waiting to be posted someday. I did plan a new recipe for the week, so the point-&-shoot will have to do, but I am crossing my fingers the camera will make it in time for our busy weekend! (Though, chances are I'll have no idea what I'm doing, and everything will be out of focus!)

No comments: