Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sunday: Recent Recipes & St. Patrick's Day Dinner!

No new recipes last week, but a couple that we've only made once & I had no photo of. Last week we made...

French Dip Crescents

French Dip Crescents with roasted Brussels sprouts (2 dinners) - These are so incredible, I can't wait to make them for a get-together! This time I grabbed two packs of lunchmeat only to discover that the bottom one was pastrami and not a 2nd roast beef! We made one type each night, and the pastrami ones were still good but not quite right for the dipping sauce. I'll probably type this up in My Recipe Book soon, mostly to combine the Au Jus sauce & crescents into one recipe.

Spicy Tuscan Soup

Spicy Tuscan Soup (2 dinners) - The picture doesn't do this one justice ~ I'll have to try again! I actually made this soup last week for lunch with my visiting mother-in-law, then realized we had nearly everything to make it a 2nd time. I did not mind eating it again so soon!


We always talk about how it would be fun to create some traditions for the smaller holidays, so I wanted to do something fun for St. Patrick's Day. Last year we made Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies & swore we'd do it every year after that, but Justin recently brought home some fundraising cookie dough and I'm already chocolate-chipped out! This time I thought it might be neat to have an all-green meal... something I'm sure older kids would enjoy, but I think Orson was still a little too young to find it funny.

Green Tortellini Casserole

Tortellini Casserole (dinner with guests, serves 4+) - The plan was to make this tortellini & spinach casserole with green tortellini, but the grocery store had few options. At that point it was too late to change plans, so I added a few drops of green food coloring to the creamy sauce to give it a light tint.

The tortellini also came in a pack about 3/4 of what I needed, so the casserole was much smaller than usual. I sent Justin out for some last minute sides & he came back with salad (yay green!) and garlic bread (eh, there were green specks?). Of course Orson had no interest in any of it, but he loved the...

Shamrock Punch

► Shamrock Punch - After dinner I mixed 4 cups pineapple juice with 4 cups Sprite and a pack of Lemon-Lime Koolaid for a fun, green drink. I got the idea for the shamrock straws here ~ there are no directions but you can probably figure out how to make them! Orson was very excited about the green juice & fun straws.

No comments: