Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday: Recent Recipes

This week the new recipe we tried was a "Cream of" Soup mix from 1 Orange Giraffe. My husband was not thrilled that it had to be heated up first to thicken (not just dumped in), but it did not take long and you know it's cheaper and probably healthier than buying a can! Personally I'd rather have a big batch of this stuff ready to go & not worry about picking up a can at the store. (One batch of this mix should make about 7 cans worth)

"Cream of" Soup Mix

I tried it out in the recipe below and it was so good! I was a little unsure how the mix would work work since the soup in the cans is thicker and about 1.25 cups while this makes nearly 2 cups, but the sauce in the finished recipe did not seem unusual and tasted as delicious as ever! The only difference I did notice was a slight peppery flavor from the mix that this recipe does not usually have. Since it's not normally in the soup (and our recipes often call for a certain amount) I think I'll leave it out next time.

► Ritzy Casserole Chicken with Roasted Broccoli (1 dinner + lunches) - Our recipe is similar to this one but I layer 1/2 crackers, chicken, sauce, crackers, and then butter. And of course this time we subbed the "Cream of" soup with the mix above!

► Chicken & Rice Soup with grilled cheese (2 dinners) - I followed the on-the-fly soup recipe I made with leftover turkey after Thanksgiving but used cooked, shredded chicken this time. Very good!

Chinese Roast Chicken with Coriander Rice with Roasted Green Beans (2 dinners) - Based on this recipe but multiplied enough to make 10 drumsticks. Orson *loves* this recipe!


I also made Chicken Mei Fun for lunches again. I've been slightly tweaking it here & there & it is getting pretty good!

No comments: