Sunday, April 14, 2013

Recent Recipes: Miso Salmon, Garlic Scallion Noodles, Dipping Sauces & More!

Wow, somehow last week I managed to try 6 new recipes without realizing it! They were mostly sauces, and some were added later in the week, so I didn’t notice just how many there were.

Miso Salmon, Garlic Scallion Noodles, & Asparagus

► Miso Glazed Salmon with Garlic Scallion Noodles and Pan-fried Asparagus - This was a winner all around! I used the glaze from this recipe but we ended up having to buy frozen salmon, so I just followed the cooking directions on the package for that. The sauce was just what I was looking for - Japanese dengaku style. I slathered it on often so there was a nice thick coating.

The noodles were surprisingly good! I was a little hesitant after the Ginger Scallion Noodles disaster, but these were delicious. (I did cut 1 Tbsp. of butter, no fish sauce, and my noodles were wheat based rather than egg.) I even ended up making another batch later in the week for lunches since we’d only used half of the noodles, and now I agree with the poster that I could probably eat this entire batch in one sitting. It’s just so easy to go back for another bowl!


► Chinese Roast Chicken with Coriander Rice & Roasted Green Beans (2 dinners) - I had hoped to take a photo of this meal so I could type up an official recipe for it, but we ended up having to change some things this time around so it was a little off. Oh well, maybe next time! It is based on this recipe, but multiplied enough to make 10 drumsticks.

Drumsticks were on sale, so we also doubled it for 2 more freezer meals! I just poured the marinade in a bag with the chicken & we will make the rice the day we bake that. Today I picked up some more green beans & will go ahead and trim those to freeze & hope they will roast well.


► Grilled Kabobs with 2 dipping sauces - Grilling season is finally here! For the kabobs we used steak, sliced onions, mushrooms, broccoli, and bell peppers. I also whipped up 2 new sauces to try out.

Coconut Dipping Sauce - We normally use low-fat coconut milk in recipes, but for this one I think it was a big mistake. The sauce was *super* thin! I used 1/2 the ginger called for (I hate grating it) and that was plenty. The sauce was too tart from the vinegar so I added in another Tbsp. of peanut butter and 1 Tbsp. honey. At that point the flavor was pretty good, but still too runny from the low-fat coconut milk. (I don’t think we’ll bother trying it again with full fat milk though! I’m sure I can find a better one.)

Restaurant Style Ranch Dressing from Our Best Bites - Once again - good, but I don’t think I’ll be making it again. This was better than bottled ranch, but not really the flavor I expect from a restaurant’s ranch dressing. I think a few few spices could change that, but I don’t know what’s missing, so I’ll just try another recipe next time.


► And for a get-together we decided to make nachos! We cooked some ground beef & put out chips, canned nacho cheese dip, salsa, chopped tomatoes, onions, lettuce, black beans, refried beans, and some other stuff I’m probably forgetting. I also used this as an excuse to try out two melty cheese dips I’d been eyeing...

Nacho Cheese Sauce - I was not too impressed with the flavor of this one, and thought it thickened a little too quickly. I actually preferred the canned cheese to this (and wasn’t in love with it either).

Queso Blanco - Whoops! I totally botched this one by grabbing the wrong cheese. We could not find White American Cheese in the dairy section (and totally forgot about the deli), so I headed back to the refrigerated section in the international aisle to grab some melty Mexican cheese instead. I did not realize that most of the cheese there was actually ‘crumbling’ cheese until I was making the dip. I tried to use it anyway, but apparently this cheese does *not* melt, and we ended up with this ~

Crumbling Cheese mix-up

I am not anxious to waste the $6 we spent on this cheese though, so you'll be seeing some recipes with “Queso Fresco” (crumbling cheese) over the next two weeks!!

No comments: