Thursday, January 3, 2013

2012 Summary

Wow, 2012. That was a year I am not sad to see end!

Throughout the year one disaster after another happened to the majority of our electronics ~
♦ Our video camera died
♦ Our expensive printer died (from using the name brand ink!)
♦ The power switch on my computer malfunctioned (luckily we fixed it)
♦ Justin fried my cell phone in the pool
♦ My expensive camera was stolen
♦ Our laptop stopped holding a charge & the power cord broke (it’s barely holding on)
♦ Justin dropped his cell phone in the creek
♦ All of the electronics in our car, including the headlights, were fried from Orson shoving pennies in the CD player (Justin finally got everything fixed!)
♦ The air conditioning & heat at our new house has gone out more times than I can count (luckily we are renting & not paying for the fixes)

And I’m probably forgetting a few more! It’s a miracle our TV made it out alive.

Around the same time all of this started we found out I was pregnant but had a miscarriage a couple of weeks later. During this I had the worst tooth pain ever and both me & the dentist were convinced I had an abscessed tooth that needed to be pulled (which could not be done for weeks, until I was in the 2nd trimester, and no one could give me anything for the pain). Luckily I realized it was actually a terrible sinus infection putting pressure on my jaw & was able to clear it up with some steam, a neti pot, and some antibiotics. (No decongestants when you’re pregnant!)

Throughout all of this I kept my sanity looking forward to the next school year. We were on a very tight budget but Justin was planning on spending the summer looking for a new teaching job at a public school, which would come with a much higher pay. We were ready for a change, ready to get out of our old town, looking forward to not worrying about money so much, and I knew that was our only hope of replacing some of the bigger items listed above! Unfortunately months went by with no offers & no news.


Finally our luck shifted! At the end of the summer Justin finished up the last class for his Masters & the next day was called in for an interview in our top-choice school system! He got the job & we suddenly had about 2-3 weeks to find a place & move. We upgraded from an apartment to an awesome rental house with tons of room & were even able to settle in for a couple of weeks before Justin started work.

A few months later we found out I was pregnant again! The timing was perfect - the baby was due at the end of the school year and I’d have Justin at home with the newborn for nearly 3 months! After a little bit of bleeding and a negative doctor’s appointment we were convinced we’d lost this one as well, but it was an unnecessary scare - we are halfway through the pregnancy now & doing fine! We just found out we are having a little girl. I did spend the month of November in a zombie-like funk from another bad sinus infection (must be a pregnancy thing!) but we ended the year on a high note when, after months of working & waiting, Justin was finally approved for a very high paying fellowship!

We are looking forward to 2013 - enjoying the new job, new house, new town, and new baby! It looks like we’ll finally be able to get a 2nd car and I’ll be able to stay at home with our two little ones *without working*!! (Working at home with a toddler has been insane - I can’t imagine it would be possible with two!) Assuming we don’t have another colicky baby it should be a pretty good year indeed!

No comments: