Sunday, January 13, 2013

Dinners for the Week

Last week we tried *4* new recipes! I must have added a lot to Pinterest lately, because there were so many I wanted to try. Normally I would have doubled one of these to make 2 dinners, but since we were already making 2 dinners with crescent rolls we thought that would be a bit much!

French Dip Crescents

French Dip Crescents with black eyed peas (pictured above) - These were incredible! Definitely the stand out star of the bunch. I split the recipe to make 8 rolls & we made a dinner out of them, but they would also make great appetizers. The only problem I had was the sauce, which all boiled away when I wasn't watching, but I poured in 1 cup of water at the end and we had plenty for dipping (and a lot left over). Easy & very tasty!

Soy & Br. Sugar Marinated Salmon with roasted green beans - This marinade added a nice flavor, but I was really hoping for more of a thicker, sticky sauce. It was a bit too subtle for me. I’ll keep looking! (The green beans we’ve made many times - tasty as always.)

Crescent Chicken with mashed potatoes & green peas (pictured below) - This was good, but did not ‘wow’ me. I liked their idea of using the leftover sauce over mashed potatoes, but when we ate it I wished I had saved the sauce for the chicken instead. The fillings were also hard to fit into the crescents, so I don’t think I’ll make this one again.

Crescent Chicken

► Hamburgers & tater tots (2 dinners)


And for lunch I tried ~
Chicken Mei Fun - A great starter recipes, but I’ll be making some tweaks next time! I used a 6+ oz. bag of the noodles instead of the 8 oz. it called for & still thought there were be too many noodles when I first tried some. Once I divided it up for lunches it did seem a little more balanced though (I was able to divide up the noodles & the topping separately). I liked the idea of soaking the noodles in hot water to cook them while stir-frying the other ingredients, but even after adding another batch of hot water my noodles were undercooked. I’ll either use boiling water to start with next time or just cook them like normal.

No comments: