Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dinners for the Week

Last week we tried 2 new recipes! (the first & last listed below)

Beef Tips in Mushroom Sauce over egg noodles with roasted kale (2 dinners) - I was really in the mood for beef with a rich, brown mushroom sauce after seeing this recipe, but after reading the ingredients I quickly realized that one was going to look nothing like the picture. Cream of mushroom soup (white) + onion soup mix + can of Sprite? It might end up tasty, but for a nice brown sauce I was going to need to look elsewhere.

I picked the recipe linked in the title and the sauce was dark and tasty, but it was so thin it did not cling to the noodles at all. After dinner I added cornstarch to thicken it up more for the leftovers (haven't tried those yet). I felt like the directions needed a little tweaking, but nothing major.

Go figure - our toddler wolfed down the kale & wouldn't touch anything else! And look how tempting the steak & mushrooms are (pre-sauce) ~

Steak, onion, & mushrooms

Asian BBQ Chicken & rice mixed with Asian veggies (2 dinners) - This time we made the chicken in the oven, and it was not as pretty as when it is grilled, but still delicious! On the side I took some Asian veggies (shredded savoy cabbage, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, green onion, and matchstick carrots), cooked them for a few minutes in a pan and then mixed them together with rice. I made another batch of the marinade & drizzled a little over the finished chicken and the rice mixture.

Chicken Cobbler Casserole (2 dinners) - We made our normal changes of doubling the bread and 1.5 times the bread coating. (I also left out the wine this time because of the pregnancy)

And for lunches I tried ~

Asian Chicken Salad - This was good, but not something I’m going to find myself craving. Once I mixed everything up it just didn’t look that appetizing to me, but I’m not fan of many salads. I topped it with my Savory Miso Dressing, incredible as always, and did make a fair amount of minor changes to the recipe (used cooked, shredded chicken mixed with half of the marinade, no cilantro, half of the carrots & edamame, sunflower seeds instead of almonds).

No comments: