Sunday, January 6, 2013

Dinners for the Week

Last week we made ~

► Frozen fish fillets with wild rice & roasted Brussels sprouts

Chicken Taco Soup (2 dinners) - Hadn't made this one in a while - Orson loved it!

And I tried one new recipe ~

► Mushroom Lasagna with Béchemel sauce (2 dinners) - I based the meal on this recipe, but with quite a few changes. Mainly we halved the recipe & used fewer varieties of mushrooms - I used 8 oz. Bella, 8 oz. White, 4 oz. Shitake, and added 2.5 cups of cooked, shredded turkey.

This ended up being one of those recipes that takes longer to prepare than I expected (even with a generous estimate of time), and then we weren't that impressed with the results. It seemed so promising! I was drooling over the bowl of grilled onions, mushrooms, and turkey ~

Mushroom Lasagna, filler

And I usually love creamy white sauces! This one even has minced mushrooms & herbs mixed in.

Mushroom Lasagna, sauce

I was expecting something rich & cheesy, more like Martha's Chicken Tetrazzini sauce, or maybe the Mornay sauce I made long ago, but this one ended up being a little bland & unimpressive.

As was the presentation! Not that I expect casseroles to be pretty on the plate, but this one had an interesting layering technique that was supposed to result in pretty slices. You lay down the noodles side-by-side, not overlapping, and then stack the additional layers on top of those. When it is time to serve you just cut across the noodles & can lift out a neat little serving with the ruffly noodle edges running down each side! Supposedly.

Mushroom Lasagna, plate

Apparently our noodles lost all their ruffle! You can barely see a curl. Oh well - I'm more interested in the taste, but this one was forgettable enough (yet labor intensive) that I don't think I'll be making again.

No comments: